Skip to main content

"The first wealth is health."

Title: The Unseen Enemy: A Battle for Health and Clarity In the quiet depths of our existence, there exists a silent shadow that haunts us all. It lurks within the unexplored recesses of our minds and bodies, an intangible force that threatens the delicate equilibrium of our being. Its name is undefined - an enigma that has the power to sow seeds of doubt and confusion, leading us to question the very essence of our existence. In the pursuit of wealth, we often overlook the true foundation of our prosperity - our health. Ralph Waldo Emerson's timeless wisdom echoes through the corridors of time, serving as a poignant reminder that our well-being is the bedrock upon which all else is built. Yet, in the throes of our daily battles, we find ourselves at the mercy of an unseen adversary, challenging our very vitality and resilience. The journey towards understanding and safeguarding our health is wrought with uncertainty and fear. How do we confront an enemy that eludes definition? It...

My Friend's Surprise for Christmas


 On a Friday evening in December, two weeks before Christmas, I lost my job. I hadn’t seen it coming. I was excited for the weekend, when my daughter, Kristil, then 12, and I planned to get our Christmas tree. Then I listened to my voicemail: “We’re sorry, but your work assignment has ended as of today.” My heart sank.

I wasn’t just a single parent; I was the only parent. My paycheck was survival. I did everything I could to give Kristil a good life, but there were some things my love couldn’t fix. The next day as we searched for our tree, I struggled to be cheerful as I eyed the Christmas tree prices.

“Is everything OK?” Kristil asked. “You seem worried.”

“I got some bad news yesterday,” I told her. “I lost my job.”

“Oh no,” Kristil said. “Well, I have $100 that Grandma gave me that I can give you.”

“Absolutely not,” I told her.

Monday morning, I dropped Kristil at school and set off on my ­moneymaking pursuits. Looking for where to sell stuff, I headed to the pawnshop with a garnet ring set in 14-karat gold that my mother had given me a decade earlier.

“Best I can do is $70,” the owner said. “The stones are worthless. We’re only interested in the gold.”

Next was the antiques store. I sold six Precious Moments figurines for $150. I ended the day $220 richer­—not bad.

Over the next week, I furiously applied for jobs as my bank account grew smaller. I felt as if the world was closing in on me. On a weekend afternoon, I dropped Kristil in a wealthy gated community for a birthday party. I watched as she went in, surrounded by all the nice things we couldn’t afford. I drove home defeated.


Back at home, I glanced out the window. It had been snowing on and off all morning. I noticed a petite woman with short white hair struggling to open her car door against the wind. As she got out, I realized it was my old professor, Sister Esther Heffernan. I hadn’t seen her since we’d met for lunch three months ago. I’d first met Sister Esther 10 years earlier, when I was her student at Edgewood College in Madison, Wisconsin. Kristil was 3 at the time, and I sometimes took her to class. Sister Esther was understanding and would bring coloring books to occupy Kristil.

After I graduated, Sister Esther kept in touch, meeting me for lunch every few months. I had grown to love her like family. I rushed to the front of my building. “What are you doing out in this weather?” I asked as we hugged.

“Well, I tried to call last week but couldn’t get through. Then I called your job and they said you weren’t working there anymore, so I thought I would come by,” Sister Esther said. “I have a couple of gifts for you and Kristil.”

I made her a cup of tea, and we talked. Just being in Sister Esther’s presence gave me hope that things would be all right. As she got up to leave, she handed me a Christmas card. “This is for you,” she said as she kissed me on the cheek. I walked her to her car and waved as she pulled away.

When I opened her card, I gasped in shock. There was money inside. Hundred-dollar bills fell onto the table. Tears of gratitude puddled in my eyes as I counted. Sister Esther had given me $1,000.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The first wealth is health."

Title: The Unseen Enemy: A Battle for Health and Clarity In the quiet depths of our existence, there exists a silent shadow that haunts us all. It lurks within the unexplored recesses of our minds and bodies, an intangible force that threatens the delicate equilibrium of our being. Its name is undefined - an enigma that has the power to sow seeds of doubt and confusion, leading us to question the very essence of our existence. In the pursuit of wealth, we often overlook the true foundation of our prosperity - our health. Ralph Waldo Emerson's timeless wisdom echoes through the corridors of time, serving as a poignant reminder that our well-being is the bedrock upon which all else is built. Yet, in the throes of our daily battles, we find ourselves at the mercy of an unseen adversary, challenging our very vitality and resilience. The journey towards understanding and safeguarding our health is wrought with uncertainty and fear. How do we confront an enemy that eludes definition? It...

"A good beginning makes a good end."

Title: Whispers of the Undefined: A Journey Beyond Definition In the quivering silhouette of dusk, there exists a realm of the undefinable—a space where forms shiver into shadows, and words lose the grip on their meanings. It is here, in this enigmatic twilight, that truths are spun from the whispers of things unseen and unnamed. Ladies and gentlemen, step beyond the comforting embrace of certainty and embrace the chilling adventure into the undefined. "A good beginning makes a good end," so said the legendary storyteller Louis L'Amour, yet what if the tale itself defies the simplicity of a start and a finish? What if the chapters of our journey are strewn across the fabric of reality in fragments that mock the very idea of beginnings and ends? We quest for the sunrise, lusting after the clarity of day as if the night had not sung to us its sweet, siren song. Our lives are etched in the ink of definitions, bound by the confines of our understanding, yet do we not yearn f...

"Begin to be now what you will be hereafter."

Title: Embracing the Uncharted: Unleashing Your Untapped Potential Introduction: In the vast expanse of our existence lies a perpetual yearning to define ourselves, our purpose, and our infinite possibilities. With every passing second, we are beckoned to cultivate our destiny, to become the embodiment of our true potential. As we delve into the depths of the undefined, we embark on an audacious journey that can propel us towards greatness. Inspired by the wise words of William James, let us explore the profound significance of "beginning to be now what you will be hereafter." Unmasking the Undefined: Life's enigmatic nature presents us with a myriad of uncharted territories – the undefined. It represents unexplored frontiers, hidden within the depths of our abilities and aspirations. These realms challenge us to cease waiting for an elusive moment of perfection to arrive, urging us instead to seize the present and step into our becoming. Each passing moment offers a pre...